Tuesday 22 November 2016

Phone Pest



(Increasingly I am being bombarded at home on telephone by cold callers, asking me to respond to lifestyle surveys, despite being ex directory, and not being subscribed to any of their services. This is a poetical response.)
 
I lose my head often in the midst of thought
I feel no sudden loss or unexplained pain
The telephone rings, disconnects the silence
Are they tapping into my attitude
As I lose my resolve in the middle of day
Answer a cold caller going by the name
                                                   of pest.

Good day sir, he says
I'm with opinion research
I would like to ask you a few questions
It will only take a few minutes
And then we will be done
Promise wont ring again
But its never really that simple
Because once bitten, they return again
Usually at a time of most inconvenience.


I simply have no urge to participate
Or time to lose my patience
Its just another boring distraction
They want to know what I consume
What  flipping things I like the most
As the world continues to burn.


But there's nothing new to be said
I tell them not to worry or fret
Try not to lose too much sleep
Every day is full of surprises
Consumer lifestyle choices
Really are not my bag.


In the face of social decay and vast corporations
Eating away at the future of humanity
There's enough pesky problems in the world
From birth to death, bitter pills to taste
So please can you stop pestering me
as the phone line goes dead, peace is restored.

This poem can also be  found at I am not a silent poet

https://iamnotasilentpoet.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/phone-pest-by-dave-rendle/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment