Monday 31 October 2011

Adelaide Crapsey (9/9/1878- 8/10/14) - The Witch


When I was a girl by Nilus stream
   I watched the desert stars arise;
My lover, he who dreamed the Sphinx,
   Learned all his dreaming from my eyes

I bore in Greece a burning name,
  And I have been in Italy
Madonna to a painter-lad,
  And mistress to a Medici.

And have you heard ( and I have heard)
  Of puzzled men with decorous mien,
Who judged - The wrench knows far too much-
  And hanged her on the Salem green?


Adellaide Crapsey , grew up in Rochester, New York. Educated at Vassar College. Spent her life teaching, studying and writing poems. Her poetry A study of English Metrics  was published in 1918, after her death in a sanatorium of tuberculosis.  
The Witch from 'Verse' by Adelaide Crapsey 1922.


Happy Samhein everyone
May it be good. xx



                                               
                                               

2 comments:

  1. When someone writеs an post he/ѕhe mаintains
    the idеa οf a user in his/hеr bгain that how a user can
    know it. Ѕo that's why this piece of writing is amazing. Thanks!
    My site - loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  2. look Mr Anonymous......I appreciate your comments, but in this current climate, I cannot promote a site, that offering loans, in a time of economic poverty. It must take great effort to write your comments, but I do not think they are necessarily in the best intention. I may be wrong , I may be right....they seem for all purposes to amount to spam. I have had several of you, and they tend to distract from what I am doin. So please refrain. Regards. Good luck, find an audience for your site by some other means. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete