Monday 28 September 2009

Ivor Cutler- (15/1/23- 3/3/06) - Magical Surrealist


Ah Mr Cutler, beloved scotch poet, songwriter and humorist,I remember fondly listening to him under the bedclothes, on John Peels wonderful show.Cannot forget my first sighting of Cutler as Buster Bloodvessell ,in the Beatles Magical Mystery Show and later on one of Neil Innes television programmes and on Robert Wyatts records.I also remember him appearing on numerous occasions the Andy Kershaw show ( now what ever happened to him).No need for questions, he was a complete original. I think I passed my English "o " level with Ivor's help. Happy innocent days

WINDFALLS

On the turf ,below the tree of life, lie the windfalls.
They are tunnelled through, but the tunnells go
nowhere. If you ask a tunnell where it leads, you
get a bleak look." I am just a hole through a
solid. I was just eaten." The eaters lie on the turf,
little brown dessicated bits of nature, waiting for a
strong wind to blow up to the air and into
the hedge


A SLIGHT CURVE

An insecure man decided to live below a mountain,
so he dug a tunnell till he came to the middle, but
his ruler had a slight curve and he came out a
quarter of the way round. However, all the healthy
exercise inside the mountain cured his insecurity
so he laughed and went back to his wife and
children and grandchildren and in-laws.


MISS PRISM


She gave him, a glassy stare from the top of a
vitreous ladder.


WHAT ABOUT THE HORNS


In the middle of the moon, a huge man who
smells like your favourite granpa lights a candle
and settles down to read.


THE GREAT REFLECTOR

I sit in the dark dreesed in a formal suit. I am
waiting for the moon to reappear so that I can
continue my sketch of the kitchen.

PHILOSOPHICAL SPECULATION

How many anglers dance on top of the bin


A PERPENDICULAR ATTITUDE

When life gets too much , do not lie down and cry,
stand up and weep

THE CAKE OF LIFE

It is only in the autumn that I date the month in
Latin:-IX, X, XI, XII. And then return to Arabic:-
1, 2, 3. It's the icing on the cake of life . An ort of
schoolchild culture. As good as a degree in the
classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment